Thursday, March 26, 2009

Look at the time fly!

So.
Since last I posted, a lot has changed in my life. 
My (grand) Papa passed away in April 2007 and thus began the long, hard process of clearing out all his stuff.
Papa was the man I inheirted the "old stuff" gene from.
He had a Model A & Model T junkyard in the 50's & 60's, apparently dabbled in the "rag" business at one point, and was mostly a collector of "junk".
He was a man who could put Sanford & Son to shame and it took us a good long while to get the house in order.
Since then, I've moved and finally took the plunge into the world of brick & mortar stores.
After being open for only 5 months, an opportunity came up to move to a much better (bigger, more visible, with a back room!) store location and we jumped at it.
I wish I had a picture for you - but I'll post one soon. I hope.
Business is surprisingly good. The doom & gloom on the morning news always makes me wary - but in my day to day life I only see good. 
But I think part of the reason for that is that BECAUSE times are hard, people are more likely to spend LOCALLY with small businesses - and also because so many people are now realizing the value of vintage. Why buy a prom dress at the mall for $300 when you can buy a better made one locally for $100?
I know that I find myself spending my money locally - with individuals instead of big faceless corporations. At this point, I find myself reluctant to give those greedy SOBs at the top any more money. I'm convinced half those big companies are laying people off just to save more money at the top - after all, the remaining employees will be so thankful they still have a job that they'll do the work of TWO people, right?
Ok, now I'm just rambling.

Anyway -- just a foot in the water. I'm hoping to start blogging more again since I've got a BRAND SPANKING NEW website coming up. Woot!

No comments: